Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day



Hi Sidra,

I wish I could say that this Valentine's Day was a happy one. But that would be far from the truth. I think I managed to ruin the whole weekend. You got a nasty burn on your hand and I can say that it is my fault.
You are used to watching me make our grilled cheese sandwiches from your perch on one of the 'barstools' we sit on when eating in the kitchen. I pulled the chair up to the counter as I usually do and you climbed up to your usual vantage point. As I stepped over to the fridge to get out the cheese you bent over and put your hands on the stove as you usually do. My mistake was not connecting the hazard to the fact that your mom had just taken the teapot off that burner. You let us know right away and I rushed over to get your hand under the cold water faucet. My second mistake was misreading your body language and thinking that it was your right hand that was burned. Your mom figured that out after a minute or two and we got on the right track.
After some more cold water and tylenol you finally collapsed for a nap lasting over two hours. After you woke up we looked over the damage and decided to get a professional medical opinion on the next step in your treatment since you had blisters. We took you to the urgent care clinic and they put the bandage on with a burn ointment under it to help prevent infection.
During the visit to the clinic you impressed us as a total trooper. You barely protested and actually observed the bandaging process with considerable interest. In fact you showed off a little for the first nurse to come in to see you by saying she had a stethoscope on her neck(we prompted you to say it, you have recently got a toy doctor's kit so you know some medical vocabulary). In your first half hour with the bandage in place you did display a little frustration but quickly got over that. During the wait between the doctor's diagnosis and the nurse's treatment we told you that you were going to be seeing 'Doctor Dan, the Band Aid Man' who is a character in one of your books. Lo and behold, when the nurse came in it was a man named Dan! So our prophecy came true. When we got home your mom got that book out and read it to you.
Anyway, boy I am I sorry about this. You seem to be handling it well, but I wish I could reverse time so you didn't have to.
Love, Aba

No comments: