Saturday, August 20, 2011

What a Pair!

Hi Sidra,

Today was a weird day with some ups and downs.  When I got home from my early bike ride your mom said that Shira had a fever.  So, I was sort of expecting it to be a really tough day.  In the end, it was pretty challenging as her fever worsened.  However, the two of you treated me this morning to possibly my proudest and most overwhelming moment as your father.
After the two of you had had a little breakfast you eased into what is our lazy morning routine.  Typically Shira will play with her speller (it is a hand me down from you) or look at books and you will look at some books or play some make believe scenario with dolls or toy kitchen stuff.  This time usually gives me a few minutes to relax with the paper or try to work some magic on my word game opponents.
This morning took a new twist.  It was remarkable that Shira wasn't in a fouler mood, given her illness. In any case she brought you one of her small books (again a hand me down from you, from a set of tiny board books that your uncle Ben gave you) with the obvious notion that you read it to her.  And you did it!  It was a purely spontaneous incident.  I did nothing to provoke this.  But the two of you repeated the process a couple of times so I was able to catch two videos of it.
This was like a dream come true.  We've always hoped that you two would get along well and have tried to enhance that possibility.  But I know that siblings don't always get along well and can actually be at each others throats.  This is a good sign that will make a good pair.  Add to that the fact that you are 4 and a half and you sister is not yet two and here you are sharing literary entertainment.  For the next hour I had a hard time turning back the tears. Like your uncle Ben says, I was blown away.
One of the videos is a phone video and the sound might not be that good.  The other one was done with a better camera but you'll probably have to listen close anyway cause you were reading with a pretty soft voice.

No comments: