Monday, September 16, 2013

Haute Couture

Yesterday you began your sewing and fashion design career.  Your sister served as your model.  You and I collaborated on a design for a summer top.  You got your very own little sewing kit and did most of the sewing.  
You and Shira came to me with some of the dress up clothes and wanted to make something out of it.  You had some scarves and a plan to make a skirt or dress.  It was a good idea but I helped you realize that the fabric wouldn't stretch and if we'd sewed it the way you planned neither you or your sister would be able to get it on or off.  So I gave you some ideas about how it could be put together.  
Eventually we went to the store to get the sewing kit and some elastic.  I suggested the spaghetti straps that you ended up sewing on.  So, we have a top and plans for bigger projects in the future.  My skills as a seamstress are pretty rudimentary but a big thanks to my mom that I have any at all.  She was willing to teach me a few things and I was not afraid to try.  I have enough knowledge to get you started and then we can learn together.  
I said this was the beginning of your fashion design career.  I said that because you have said that you would like that career.  We discussed the possibility of getting a sewing machine and that you might be able to make your own dresses.  You were thrilled at the prospect.
Hopefully you'll get the chance.

Love, Aba  





No comments: