Friday, October 06, 2006

Pedaling


Hi you,
your mom was a little worried about you today because you weren't kicking around too much. But you let her know you were there later in the day. Remember, we are watching you....
Tonight I will tell you something about me. I like to pedal. A bike that is. By the time you are old enough to read this, or even by the time you're old enough to have someone read this to you, you will probably have noticed this. I'll tell you about how I became such a pedaler another time. Tonight I will tell you about how it is effecting our weekend.
I feel strongly about doing my part, whatever I can to keep our planet cool. I'd like you to grow up in a world where the polar ice caps are still frozen, and sea levels are similar to what they are now. So, I pedal a bike to get places instead of driving whenever I can. Tomorrow I will ride my bike and pull a trailer to shop at Costco, which is around 20 miles away. It is the same trailer that you will ride in when you are big enough. It will take me most of the morning to make this shopping trip but it is worth it because it keeps me fit, the air clean, and uses no non renewable fuel.
I like riding bikes for fun, too. In the picture I am racing against other guys my age. I am second in the line in the picture and ended up getting 3rd place that day, which I was pretty proud of. Your mom is understanding of my desire to ride my bike a lot, she used to be a bike racer, too. Also, I am trying to ride 10,000 miles this year, and making the shopping trip by bike tomorrow will help me do that.
Today at school I was reading a book to my students. I was thinking about how much I enjoy reading to kids, and realized I can't wait to read to you. It will be a while before you will understand reading, but I am eager for that day to come. Waiting will give me a chance to think about what should be the first book that i read to you.
love, aba

No comments: