Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Tummy Time

Hi Sidra,
Right now I am in the 'office' typing this, and you are in the bedroom in your bassinette sleeping. I am listening to you on a baby monitor. You are making your sweet music of contentment every now and then. You are two days away from being 3 weeks old. You, your mom and I have fallen into a pretty good routine, mostly based on your needs. You get fed about every 3 hours or so, although we let you sleep longer in the nighttime, so we can sleep too. Your mom gets the most intimate contact with you because of the feeding. In a couple of weeks, I will get to feed you a bottle of your mom's milk. I am looking forward to that. So for now I am getting my contact with you mostly by changing your diaper. I don't mind it at all. You fuss a little bit over that procedure, as you protest a little bit the tightness of my diapering. Once it's on, though, you are fine with it. The other thing that you and I do when you are awake, which isn't much sister, is 'tummy time.' T That's when I put you on your tummy and you try to get turned over. Usually you try to turn over. I think you like being on your back more, so you do try to turn over. But sometimes you seem content to sleep on your tummy, so I try to get you to stir and turn over. The reason we do it is to help you develop your neck muscles so you will be able to hold your head up, sit up, etc. as soon as you can.
One thing that you do when we are done with our 'workout' is completely relax. You will be really tense, kicking your legs, flailing your arms, yelling at me, just really carrying on. Then when I turn you over, you take a deep breath, and relax. Usually your legs are up, and as you relax they drop down to be level with the floor. I took a video of this and hopefully it will be posted here.
Also, I was telling you that I was bummed that you probably won't remember that there is snow on the ground right now, and the kids (and adults) have been sledding on the street. We don't get snow like this every winter, so you might not see any in our neighborhood for a few years.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=944324832903463494
The above address will get you to the video, if I haven't been able to post it here.
Love, aba

No comments: