Sunday, November 21, 2010

Suessical

Hi Sidra,

Last night you and I had a date. We went to a musical called "Suessical" that is based on a few Dr. Suess stories. We had a great time. It was staged by a local high school and they did a pretty good job with it. The costumes were very colorful and well done. The acting, singing and dancing was all quite good. Our seats were terrific. You clapped after every number and would have joined in the standing ovation at the final curtain if you knew what that meant. I had to pick you up so you could see past the forest of adults who were standing and applauding.

I have to give credit to your mom for suggesting this date. She noticed a review of the show in the local paper and we planned it right away. I bought the tickets online and we picked them up at the Will Call table. When we got there I assumed that it was festival seating. Who would have thought that a high school theater would have reserved seating? So I had chosen what I thought was a pretty good spot on the aisle because I thought it would be easier for you to see past the adults that way. I was bummed when someone came and told us we were in there seats. But it was good news! Our seats were in the sixth row, dead center. You sat on my lap for most of the show so you could be a little higher.

Afterward we stopped at Cold Stone for ice cream. There we found the evenings only flaw: they were out of chocolate! You settled for peppermint chocolate and I had cheesecake.

We had a little conflict while we were getting dressed and it resolved in a way that pleased and surprised me. You and your mom had already picked out the dress you were going to wear. When we went upstairs I my task was only to help you pick some tights to go with it. Now everyone knows I'm no fashionista but I was pretty sure I was right on this choice. You wanted to wear pink tights. You had two pairs of pink ones in the drawer but they didn't look right. I wanted you to wear the black ones. You really wanted pink. I said look, neither of these is the same pink as the pink in the dress but the black does match the dress. I went into my room to change my clothes and you came in a moment later and asked me to help you put on the black tights.

I did not expect that at all. You are strong willed like your mother and I and I thought we would really butt heads over that. Apparently you saw the logic in my argument and were willing to act on it over the emotional attachment you had to the pink. I'm hoping that this portends some other future grounded decisions in your future. But I'm not holding my breath!

Love, Aba

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you and your dad had so much fun! It was also great that you mom had the idea for you t go.

I'm sure you were glad that you listened to your dad and chose the black tights! I know you looked great!

Grandma and Gandpa