Monday, February 12, 2007

The Eulogy


I know this is a really a blog for Sidra but I have to write a post about Parker. He went to the Happy Hunting grounds on February 10, 2007. It was a very hard thing for both Carol and I. He was in failing health though his senses were sharp. He couldn't stand long enough to finish peeing.
That's not how I want to remember him though. I want to remember his exuberence for life, loyalty and play. He was unfailing in his devotion and showed it everytime you entered the house. Especially for me, he very nearly followed my every move. His attention almost never wavered from me as long as I was near him. He was insatiable as a playmate. He would fetch for as long as his legs would hold him, and since we didn't meet him until he was already 8 years old, we had to be careful not to push him too hard. He also was unparalleled at giving and receiving love. I want to remember how he would stand at the top of the stairs wagging and lowering his head waiting for me to come up to hug him. And how when sleeping outside or in a tent with him, you had to fight him for your share of the bed. He was a bit of a stress tab, when walking with us, he would constantly turn and touch his nose to your leg, as if to check to see that you were still with him.
He had some strange habits, too. Sometimes, he would be outside with me while I was working in the garage and though I knew he needed to pee, he wouldn't do it until you told him to. Sometimes he wouldn't eat unless you stood or sat with him while he ate. The best thing was that he never barked. In the time that we had him, he probably only barked a dozen times.
His presence in the house is now greatly missed. It will be a long while before I can wake up in the middle of the night without wondering where he is.
One of the best things about him was how he helped us through tough times after Noah died. He was the reason Carol got up on some mornings, to take care of him. In reality, he was taking care of her.
The picture shows him on one of his best days, the day carol and I got married. He had played hard the day before when we had a dinner at my folks house and the neices and nephews had run him around. He rested while we wed, looking majestic in his bow tie.
We won't forget him........

No comments: